- Contact Us
- Join RNLD
- About us
- Working with us
- Our activities
- RNLD Award
- RNLD newsletter
- In the News
- Blogs & Lists
- RNLD email list
- Endangered Languages and Cultures
- Indigenous Languages and Technology
- Mogwi Dhan Indigenous Linguists Network
- Biocultural Diversity Learning Network
- Consortium for Language Policy and Planning
- First Peoples
- Friends of the Hans Rausing Languages Project
- Fully (sic)
- Indigenous blogs
- Language Nest
- LAT News
- Linguist List
- Living Languages
- Nambur Yaalam Wiyeliko
- Network of Pacific Educators (NOPE)
- Our mother tongues
- PNG Vernacular Education Network (VEN)
- Rising Voices
- Sorosoro blog
- Talking Alaska
- That munanga linguist
- Assessing language vitality
- Community language activists
- Compressing MPEG-4 files
- Digitising cassettes
- Documenting endangered languages
- Film and theatre
- Informed Consent
- Language Information
- Language Programs
- Linguists and Research Partnerships
- Macs and Windows Software
- Policies & Conventions
- Recording Equipment
- Recovering Files
- Repatriating language materials
- USB Memory Drives
- Video Cameras
- Working with Endangered Languages
- Blogs, lists and networks
- Dictionaries online
- Documentation projects
- Education and training programs
- Fieldwork and wellbeing manual (CRLD)
- Film and theatre
- Funding opportunities
- Language centres
- Language documentation
- Language maintenance strategies and resources
- Metadata and file-naming
- Orthography development
- Policies and conventions
- Television and radio
- Wordless books
- Useful Links
- Log In
Audacity is free, open source software for recording and editing sounds.
Audiamus is a tool for building corpora of linked transcripts and digitised media.
- Audiamus is reviewed in Language Documentation & Conservation Vol.1(2) (December 2007).
Computerized Language Analysis CLAN is an annotation and statistical analysis tool used in the fields of first language acquisition and conversation analysis. It was developed as a part of the CHILDES (Child Language Data Exchange System) project.
- CLAN is reviewed in Language Documentation & Conservation Vol. 1(1) (June 2007).
CuPED ('Customizable Presentation of ELAN Documents') is a free tool for Windows and Mac that allows easy conversion of ELAN audio and video annotations into user-friendly HTML. Version 0.3.14 is now available and fixes some bugs and brings all the underlying components up to date. A draft of a users' manual is also now available.
ELAN Multimedia Annotator (MPI) is a professional tool for the creation of complex annotations on video and audio resources.
- ELAN is reviewed in Language Documentation & Conservation Vol.1(2) (December 2007).
A set of ELAN templates by Andrea Berez is available for free download. Click here to download. There are six templates covering the following types of requirements:
- 1 speaker, tiers for Text and Free Translation
- 2 speakers, tiers for Text and Free Translation
- 2 speakers, tiers for Text, Free Translation, and Gesture
- 1 speaker, tiers for Text, Word, Gloss, and Free Translation
- 2 speakers, tiers for Text, Word, Gloss, and Free Translation
- 2 speakers, tiers for Text, Word, Gloss, Free Translation, and Gesture
- MPI Nijmegen has also made a template available for up to eight speakers, with tiers for Text, Gloss, Free Translation, Gesture and some more (by default only Text and Free Translation are show). Click here to link to the MPI page for the downloads.
EMU is a collection of software tools for the creation, manipulation and analysis of speech databases.
- EMU is reviewed in Language Documentation & Conservation Vol. 2(1) (June 2008).
FieldWorks Language Explorer (FLEx) is the lexical and text tools component of SIL FieldWorks.
- FLEx is reviewed in Language Documentation & Conservation Vol. 1(1) (June 2007).
Final Cut Pro is a digital video editing software package.
- Final Cut Pro is reviewed in Language Documentation & Conservation Vol. 3(1) (June 2009).
FLAC is Free Lossless Audio Codec, an audio format similar to MP3, but lossless, meaning that audio is compressed in FLAC without any loss in quality.
Hakamana Māori keyboard is a computer keyboard enabling easy communication in the Māori language,
Kirrkirr is a research project exploring the use of computer software for automatic transformation of lexical databases ("dictionaries"), aiming at providing innovative information visualization, particularly targeted at indigenous languages.
- Kirrkirr is reviewed in Language Documentation & Conservation Vol. 2(1) (June 2008).
Lexique Pro Interactive lexicon viewer (SIL).
- Lexique Pro is reviewed in Language Documentation & Conservation Vol.1(2) (December 2007).
Lexus is a web-based tool to create and edit lexical databases.
- Lexus is reviewed in Language Documentation & Conservation Vol. 3(2) (December 2009).
Miromaa is a program designed to aid in language preservation, reclamation and dissemination work.
NunaSoft offers software technologies tailored to the needs of specific Indigenous communities.
Phonology Assistant (PA) is a free phonology tool (SIL) that works interactively with the data stored in Toolbox, Fieldworks Language Explorer, and Speech Analyzer.
- PA is reviewed in Language Documentation & Conservation Vol. 2(2) (December 2008).
Praat is free software for acoustic analysis.
Shoebox (The Linguist’s Shoebox) Integrated data management and analysis for the field linguist (SIL).
TextWrangler is a freeware powerful general purpose text editor which can be used for editing text, cleaning up data, and writing HTML or coding.
Toolbox (The Field Linguist’s Toolbox) Data management, parsing and text analysis (SIL).
- A range of advice about using Toolbox on a Mac can be found in a May 2010 discussion on the RNLD list.
Transcribe! is designed to help musicians transcribe music from recordings and is ideal for ethnomusicologists.
- Transcribe is reviewed in Language Documentation & Conservation Vol. 3(2) (December 2009).
Transcriber is a tool for assisting the manual annotation of speech signals.
Transana is a computer program for transcribing and analyzing large collections of video and audio data.
- Transana is reviewed in Language Documentation and Conservation Vol. 3(2) (December 2009).
TshwaneLex is a software program designed to facilitate the compilation of mono-, bi-, and multilingual dictionaries.
- TshwaneLex is reviewed in Language Documentation & Conservation Vol. 1(1) (June 2007).
WeSay helps non-linguists build a dictionary in their own language. It has various ways to help native speakers to think of words in their language and enter some basic data about them.
Pages with general information about linguistic or ethnographic software
Digital Research Tools: http://digitalresearchtools.pbworks.com/
Wiki listing tools for ethnographic research http://techofresearch.socanth.cam.ac.uk